Do you get short of breath during activities?
Are you worried about your cough and respiratory infections?
Does your lung problem control your life?
Are you concerned about your shortness of breath?
Find training and support through Community Hospital’s Pulmonary Wellness Program.
What we do
Research has shown there is effective treatment available for:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic asthma
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pre/post lung reduction or lung transplant surgery
The Pulmonary Wellness Program can help you:
- Manage and improve symptoms
- Improve your breathing
- Increase activity and decrease anxiety
The pulmonary wellness staff includes a respiratory therapist, registered nurse, and exercise physiologist. This specially trained team provides a safe and supportive environment for participants.
A comprehensive assessment by the pulmonary wellness team provides the basis for an individualized treatment plan that takes into account your medical history, functional capacity, symptoms, and personal goals. The program medical director performs a brief assessment to review program goals.
Each participant receives an individualized treatment plan that includes a combination of the following:
- Understanding Chronic Lung Disease
- Your Medications: Why and How?
- Oxygen Therapy: What You Need to Know
- Breathing Retraining
- Energy Conservation Techniques
- Signs and Symptoms of Infection
- Travel Guidelines
- Practical Stress-Reduction Techniques
- Exercise Principles and Lung Disease
- Chronic Lung Disease and Your Emotions
- Nutrition and Lung Disease
Exercise and skills training
- Monitored exercise training (heart rate, oxygen saturation, and symptoms)
- Individualized exercise program including progressive intensity, time, type, and frequency
- Cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility exercise instruction
- Upper extremity strengthening exercise
- Guidelines and conditioning for a home exercise plan
- Training in inhaler techniques, breathing retraining, and bronchial hygiene
- These pulmonary wellness services are also available based on your needs and doctor’s order:
- Asthma Management
- High Altitude Simulation Test
Assessing oxygen needs when flying or traveling at high altitude
- Portable oxygen for members of Peninsula Wellness Center
- Kick the Nic — smoking cessation
- Pulmonary devices with instruction: flutter valve, aerosol spacer, peak flow meter
A doctor’s referral is required to participate in the program. We can assist you in obtaining this.
Many health insurance policies cover these services. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.